Artichokes Stuffed with Beef
(Etli Enginar Dolmasi)
4 large artichokes
4 pieces of tomato
4 tsp butter
2 tbsp crushed tomato (in can) whisk with hot water
150 gr lamb or medium ground beef
4 tbsp rice, washed, drained
4 fresh green onions, finely chopped
1 tomato, peeled, seeds discarded, finely chopped
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
1 tbsp dill, finely chopped
How to prepare the Artichokes:
- Trim the base of stem (picture).
- Cut off the top 1/4 of the artichoke, rub it with lemon (picture).
- Break off two or three rounds of the leaves, then trim off the tips of all the leaves with kitchen scissors (picture).
- Push your thumbs into the center and press to open up the leaves. Scoop out and discard the choke with a spoon. Scoop carefully so that you preserve the bottom and the heart of the artichoke.
Now the artichoke is trimmed. Leave them in the water & lemon juice mixture to prevent discolouration. This method is for medium to large artichokes to fill with stuffing.
Mix all the filling ingredients with a tablespoon. Open up the leaves of the artichokes with your fingers. Stuff the artichokes, but don't overdo it. Leave some room at the top. Then cover with tomato pieces (picture).
Place the artichokes in a small pot. Then put butter on top of each. Now, pour the water mixed with crushed tomato down the side of the pot. The water's level should be the same as artichokes. Cook on medium-low heat for about 30 minutes with the lid half covered or until the artichokes are tender. If necessary, add some hot water into the pot.
Place the artichoke on the service plate and pour some sauce on top. Just remove the hard leaves* with a fork - they will drop off easily, put aside:) Have the delicious filling with the bottom of the artichoke. Serve with Yogurt with Garlic on the side.
Makes 2 servings.
* To avoid to unraveling of the dolma during cooking, you should leave 2 rounds of hard leaves.
- Chicken with Walnuts, Pide, Mosaic Cake with Turkish Coffee.